Articles and Blog Posts
- "How Your Cat Is Making You Crazy" by Kathleen McAuliffe, The Atlantic Monthly, March 2012 – If you’ve ever wondered about Americans’ love for pets and their odd behavior, a Czech scientist has found there may be a connection.
- "A Brief History of the American Pawn Shop" by Wendy Woloson, Bloomberg, February 9, 2012 – They’re a world unto itself.
- "Quitting the Paint Factory" by Mark Slouka, Harper’s Magazine, November 2004 – "There’s something un-American about singing the virtues of idleness." He sings it well.
- "How Carrots Became the New Junk Food" by Douglas McGray, Fast Company, April 11, 2011 – To eat healthy foods, Americans must be duped into thinking they’re snacks. Oh, to be a child again.
The Book Stack
- David Bellos, "Is That a Fish in Your Ear?: Translation and the Meaning of Everything", New York: Faber & Faber, 2011 – BUY NOW
- Václav Havel, "Open Letters: Selected Writings, 1965-1990", New York: Vintage, 1992 – BUY NOW
- Alexandar Hemon, "Love and Obstacles", New York: Riverhead, 2011 – American Robotnik review – BUY NOW
- Czeszław Miłosz, "Native Realm: A Search for Self-Definition", New York: Farrar, Strauss, Giroux, 2002 (1959) – BUY NOW
- Larry Wolff, "Inventing Eastern Europe: The Map of Civilization on the Mind of the Enlightenment", Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1994 – BUY NOW
Do you have any recommendations for readings about America or immigration? Please share in Comments.