From the RSS Feed
- “If You Want More Jobs, You Should Want More Immigrants” by Steve Case, The Atlantic, September 11, 2012 – Read my lips.
- “How Income Divides Democrats, Republicans, And Independents” by Lam Thuy Vo, NPR Planet Money, October 1, 2012 and “How The Poor, The Middle Class And The Rich Spend Their Money” by Jacob Goldstein and Lam Vo, NPR Planet Money, August 1, 2012
Plus a series of articles at The Atlantic about the Millenial generation:
- “The Cheapest Generation” by Derek Thompson and Jordan Weissman
- “Why Aren’t Twenty Somethings Buying Houses?
- “Cars? Not For Us: The Cheapest Generation Explains ‘the Freedom of Not Owning'”
- “The Cheapest Generation Objects: ‘Cheap and Broke Are Not the Same Thing!'”
- “How Young Homeowners Lost Out by Buying”
- “The Untouchable Economy: Why Americans Are Turning Against ‘Stuff'”
- “Why Are Young People Ditching Cars for Smartphones?”
- “Adulthood, Delayed: What Has the Recession Done to Millennials?”
On the Radio
- “Economist Joseph Stiglitz: ‘U.S. No Longer Land Of Opportunity'” by WBUR-Here and Now, June 18, 2012
The Book Stack
- Heather Havrilesky, “Disaster Preparedness: A Memoir,” New York: Riverhead Books, 2010 – Growing up in the U.S.A. in the 1970’s and 1980’s. – BUY NOW
- Haya Leah Molnar, “Under a Red Sky: Memoir of a Childhood in Communist Romania,” New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 2010 – …in the 1950’s, as a Jew. – BUY NOW
- Beth Lisick, “Everybody into the Pool: True Tales,” New York: William Morrow, 2006 – Oh you, San Francisco, you’re too cool for school. – BUY NOW
- George Schoepflin and Nancy Wood, “In Search of Central Europe,” Cambridge: Polity Press, 1989 – Where is it? Why is it? – BUY NOW
- Katherine Verdery, “What Was Socialism, and What Comes Next?” New Haven, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1996 – To understand the experience of Central/Eastern European immigrants in American capitalism, it helps to understand the system they came from. – BUY NOW
Do you have any recommendations for readings about America, immigration, or Central/Eastern Europe? Please share in Comments.
My writings from August to October elsewhere, capturing life in America.
- “Bike Commute Challenge sends SE riders on the road,” The Bee, October 2012, p. 14 [pdf]
- “Two-time Grammy winner appears in Brooklyn recital,” The Bee, October 2012, p. 31 [pdf]
- “‘Westmoreland Brewfest’ cultivates new tradition,” The Bee, September 2012 [pdf]
- “Restaurant next to Moreland Theater reopens with new name and ‘family brewpub’,” The Bee, September 2012 [pdf]
- “Elder advocates for environment, good causes,” Oregon Jewish Life, September 2012, pp. 38-40 [pdf – full magazine | pdf – article]
- “Cedar Sinai Park honors the Fifth Commandment with comprehensive care,” Oregon Jewish Life, August 2012, pp. 63-64 [pdf – full magazine | pdf – article]