With a bit of a delay but by popular demand, here’s a list of upcoming Central European events this month and February 1. All information comes from event websites or organizers.
Bulgaria: Dancing with the Bulgarians, 1/10 & 1/24
- Thursday, January 10 and 24, 7:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Podkrepa Hall, 2116 North Killingsworth St, Portland
- Free [American Robotnik note: bring something to share for the potluck]
Come and join us for a fun night of dancing and learning.
Russia/Orthodox East: 7th Annual Russian Old New Year, 1/12
- Saturday, January 12, 8:00 p.m.
- Star Theater, 13 NW 6th Avenue, Portland, Oregon
- $15, “The cheapest tickets to Russia for one fun night!” (buy tickets)
- Event page
- My article in The Bee about the event
We have all ingredients for amazing party: Best club in Portland, Oregon (Star Theater); amazing live bands (Chervona and Zhenya Rock & Balalaika Flying Brothers); Earth Shaking Russian Dance Music expert (DJ Chkalov); our favorite MC’s Ded Moroz, Snegurochka and Baba Yaga.
The Balkans: Brass Menažeri, 1/24
- Thursday, January 24, 9:00 p.m.
- The Secret Society, 116 NE Russell, Portland, Oregon
- $10 ($8 in advance)
- Event page
After 12.5 years / 275 shows / infinite amazing experiences playing for YOU, Brass Menažeri Balkan Brass Band will disband in February! But first, Portland, we’re comminagetcha, with the help of Opa Groupa! This will be a really special night, in that “special-but-gaaah-rocking-my-face-off-gaaaaaah” kind of way. You know, like when newborn fuzzy honey badgers sit in with Jimi Hendrix. And Bruce Lee.
And NOW guess what: we got dancers Rachel Brice & Danielle Elizabeth joining us for some numbers. This is gonna be good.
The Balkans: Krebsic Orkestar, 2/1
- Friday, February 1, 8:00 p.m.
- Mississippi Pizza, 3552 N. Mississippi Ave., Portland, Oregon
- 1 for $7, 2 for $10; 21+ only