From the RSS Feed
- “De Nimes: The Long Journey of Blue Jeans” by Jenni Avins, Vice, 3/11/2013 – A history of one of America’s most potent symbols.
- “We Aren’t the World” by Ethan Watters, Pacific Standard, February 25, 2013 – Americans are outliers in more ways than you imagine.
- “The Decline of Marriage and the Rise of Unwed Mothers: An Economic Mystery” by Derek Thompson, The Atlantic, 3/18/2013
The Book Stack
- Andre Aciman, Letters of Transit: Reflections on Exile, Identity, Language and Loss, New York: The New Press, 2000
- Alec Foege, The Tinkerers: The Amateurs, DIYers, and Inventors Who Make America Great, New York: Basic Books 2013
- Anna Funder, Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall, Reprint Edition, New York: Harper Perennial, 2011
- Oscar Handlin, The Uprooted: The Epic Story of the Great Migrations That Made the American People, Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2002
- Domingo Martinez, The Boy Kings of Texas: A Memoir, New York: Lyons Press, 2012
- David Foster Wallace, Both Flesh and Not: Essays, New York: Little, Brown & Company, 2012
Do you have any recommendations for readings about America, immigration, or Central/Eastern Europe? Please share in Comments.